Test Taking Skills
Being able to take a test is a vital skill necessary for nearly any career choice. The idea that taking tests is simply for academic pursuits is an archaic misconception. Test taking and career choices can no longer be separated. Certification at nearly any level and professional path is part of our modern reality. Weather one is working towards an entry level job that may require a Driver’s License, Food Handlers Cards or career choices such as a First Responders, Medical Assistant and Military we have to pass a test. The more successful we become, the more likely our careers will be punctuated by tests.
Here is a list of steps you can take to improve your chances of passing an important test:
- Set Goals - Figure out what you want to do and the certificates required.
- Do some research and figure out what is on the test and find a study guide, teacher or mentor.
- Identify your deficiencies and focus your studies in those areas.
- Manage your time wisely by giving yourself time to process and master the information Cramming is always risky.
- Learn to look for cues, highlight important information, use process of elimination strategies, take your time and always double check.
- Relax, think positively, get good rest and eat a healthy meal prior to the testing session.